Monument to Svetozar Miletic is one of the most famous sculptures of the Yugoslav sculptor and architect Ivan Mestrovic that was first placed in 1939. in front of the Town Hall, on the square “Trg kulture” in Novi Sad. Svetozar Miletic (1826-1901) was one of the most influential people in the Habsburg monarchy, in the political sense, at the end of the nineteenth century. He was a delegate, lawyer, newspaper editor and the mayor of Novi Sad two times. Ivan Mestrovic presented Svetozar Miletic in bronze sculpture 500m high, mounted on a square pedestal of granite, which clearly expresses his pride and leadership.
The monument was removed during the World War II, but thanks to the initiative of historians, Vase Stajića, it was returned back in 1944.
[map lat=”45.25510332701553″ lng=”19.844833653325622″]Monument of Svetozar Miletic[/map]