The “Marcibanji-Karačonji” castle is a cultural monument of very great importance, widespread near the banks of the Danube, near Sremska Kamenica. It was built on two occasions, in the late eighteenth century and early nineteenth century, from 1797 to 1811. The castle was originally owned by a European aristocratic family Marcibanji, until the thirty years of the nineteenth century, when the successor of the family married Count Karaconji and as a dowry from her family received this residential building. The new owners of the castle, manor family Karaconji had also been rich and had properties throughout Vojvodina.
The castle was built in the classicist style. The resort features a colonnade of Doric columns and iron ornamentation. At its entrance is a plaque with an inscription that says that the building is constructed by family Marcibanji de Puho, and on the northeast side is the family crest. The castle was surrounded by the beauty of the English landscape architecture which hasn’t been preserved until today. The former park occupied an area of 28 hectares around the castle, had beautifully decorated walkways, riding trails, an artificial lake, sculpture animals and exotic plant species from around the world.
The emblematic sculpture “Five heads” stayed preserved, and is located on the so-called “Hill of love”. In 1850, close to the Danube, have been built and the accompanying economic facilities within the court estate. Today these objects (a barn, storage for boats, Kamelianhaus..) practically indistinguishable. Accordingly, they are used as residential apartments.
The “Marcibanji-Karačonji” castle is owned by Public company “Vojvodinavode” Novi Sad, which at one time officially stayed in it, and now the room of the mansion is used by the Faculty for European Legal and Political Studies. The castle is not open for visitors.