Roman catholic church of the Snow Lady on Tekije

Catholic church on Tekije is located near the exit of Petrovaradin, towards to the city Sremski Karlovci. It is an ecumenical Christian sanctuary, erected as a sign of the victory of Christianity over Islam in the battle of Vezirac, on August 5, 1716. Word “tekija” on the Arabic language means a resting place which was built most common near the roads.

On the site of the present church, Turks built a mosque in 1526, that had recreational facilities for  dervishes. Hence, the word “tekija”. In 1687, the mosque was turned into a Catholic place of worship by the Petrovaradin monks. A church gains its present appearance in 1881, with the permission of Bishop Strossmayer and designed by Herman Bolle, Zagreb architect, with altars in Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant version. The creator of the church and one who advocated for its construction is abbot Ilija Okrugić, who is buried in the foundations of the building. At the altar were placed cross and crescent as a symbol of worship belonging to the two religions. Cross is above the crescent moon as a sign of the victory of Christianity over Islam in 1716.

Roman catholic church of the Snow Lady on Tekije