The building of the Vojvođanska bank

Many historical sources indicate that this building existed in 1754 as a restaurant, the “Kod zelenog venca” property of the captain Sava Nikolic. Later, the building got the function of the hotel. The owners have often changed the building’s appearance until the 19 century when the city demolished it. Therefore, in 1892, Emmerich Mayer built a luxury hotel on its foundation, in neo-baroque style with a name “Grand Hotel Mayer”. Shortly after that, Lazar Dunđerski, the richest Serb in that time, bought the hotel and made it a center for the ceremonial and political events that citizens are often visited. In one of the Congress Halls was Grand National Assembly of Serbs, Bunjevci and other Slavistic people where the merger of the Kingdom of Serbs was declared, in November 1918.

Zgrada Vojvođanske banke

After the World War II, the hotel was renamed to “Sloboda” and was working until 1953 when it became the building of the Jugoslovenian National Army (JNA). Its tradition of working in the hospitality world was interrupted by the process of becoming the administrative building of Vojvodjanska Bank. Then the building changed its interior and exterior, therefore the original appearance is not held anymore.

The building of the Vojvođanska bank